Today, the European Commission launches the EU Health Award for NGOs 2017, which aims to reward NGOs that have contributed to a higher level of public health in the EU through vaccination.
Vytenis Andriukaitis, Commissioner for Health and Food Safety said "Vaccines are one of the safest and most cost-effective ways to ensure public health and avoid preventable disease. Decreasing public trust in immunisation poses a serious threat that needs to be addressed. Anti-vaccination myths and lack of knowledge can lead to people refusing vaccines, which in turn leads to insufficient group immunisation and avoidable death. We need the support of the entire community to ensure optimal vaccination rates, and NGOs play an enormous role. I want to recognise and reward outstanding initiatives by NGOs which have significantly contributed to higher levels of vaccination in the EU population."
Interested parties are invited to check the eligibility criteria and present details of their initiative by 30/06/2017 using the [https:/ec.europa.eu/health/ngo_award/submit_your_project]online form.
Applications could include one or more of the following aspects related to vaccination:
- Prevention: availability of vaccines and access to sustainable immunisation services
- Awareness and information: promoting vaccination/advocacy
- Countering growing vaccine hesitancy
- Engaging with health care professionals to strengthen education/medical curricula/training, advocacy and health care professionals’ communication skills
- Tackling vaccination from a specific disease perspective (e.g. Human Papilloma virus HPV, seasonal flu, childhood immunisation, life-course vaccination/adult vaccination, synergies between vaccination and use of antibiotic)
- Other initiatives that can promote higher levels of public health in EU through vaccination.
The cash prizes, which are funded under the 3rd Health Programme 2014-2020 are as follows:
- 1st prize: 20 000 €
- 2nd prize: 15 000 €
- 3rd prize: 10 000 €
The shortlist will be announced in September and the Award Ceremony will take before the end of 2017.